This week was Jayon’s 13th birthday. The week rushed in and yelled summer.
I wanted to bake a cake or something birthday-ish for him. So I came up with this uncomplicated torte that combines two great ingredients: chocolate and strawberries. Jayon really doesn’t care for traditional cakes yet I knew he’d eat strawberries and chocolate til the proverbial cows come home. So, strawberry fields forever with a bit of chocolate all in a cool torte seemed just about right for a warm summer birthday. There was not one slice left at the end of the evening.
It’s the best birthday-ish cake I’ve made in 20 years…and the only one in 20 years, hee hee. And no one knew it was gluten-free. 🙂
5 ounces of chocolate chips
3/4 c butter
1-1/2 c sugar
2 t vanilla extract
2-1/2 all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 t baking soda
1-1/2 c water
4 c sliced fresh strawberries
2 T sugar
1 carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
squirty chocolate glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two greased 9″ round baking pans with parchment paper.
- In the microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir til smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking soda, then gradually add to the chocolate mixture alternately with the water. Beat well.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Meanwhile, combine the sliced berries with a little sugar.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of the whipped topping and 2 c of the berries. Repeat, then drizzle the squirty chocolate over top. Store in the refrigerator.